Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Day 2 Digital Fluence

There was a lot of good learning for myself today, more around the little shortcuts I can use around the Google tools after they have been set up. I have hardly used Google meets, but knew a little about how to use it. Some of the useful things that I will start using in Google meets (while hopefully also teaching my students and other teachers how to use Google meets effectively as well) will be;

  • You can control the chat, whether it’s available for use or not….

  • The activities tab has a few different features (poll, breakout rooms)

  • Captions underneath (could be used for students that are hard of hearing)

  • Can control how people have access to the meet (whether they can come straight in or require admin to accept entry)

  • Can kick students out by ending the call (when hanging up the call, not just leaving it), so students don’t linger behind or try to rejoin once the teacher has left.

For our create component today, we recorded a discussion around a students learning in their Blog post. It was a good reflection on what I've learnt around Google meets today, and getting the opportunity to apply some of the features of Google meets was pretty cool (I didn't do this in the recording, more like just had a haututu while I was waiting in the meet room).


Another valuable piece of learning I received today was around tab management. I am one of those people who have a whole screen filled with tabs, so learning to pin the main tabs (while also making them slightly more obvious that they are the important tabs) is going to make searching through all my tabs to find the correct resources a lot easier, making life in the classroom a lot easier as well. Some other notes I took away from the ‘TAB’ section of our learning today;

  • Reading list, good for saving sites (things, documents readings) that you want to have access to later, for reading later on

  • One tab, is good for getting all the sites/tabs that you will need for a lesson (has everything easily available for the future (will be way easier using this for all the programs in Challenge i.e one for Inquiry, one for Fitness etc…)

 

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Rikki,
    It's good to get those tabs under control! I was like you and used to have many tabs open abut once I tamed my tabs I am much more efficient and organised.
    Looking forward to viewing your recording of your Meet when you add it.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Rikki,
    I agree, all the shortcuts can make a huge difference to efficiency. I find it lowers my frustration level too when I know I am being as efficient as I can be!
    Have you tried out OneTab yet? I'd love to hear your thoughts once you have it up and running.
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morena, unfortunately I haven't been able to have a toy around with Onetab yet... Hopefully I can give it a go soon :)

      Delete

Day 8 Digital fluency

 Today we took a look into computational thinkning and how it could be relevant to our learning environment. There were a lot of really cool...