Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Day 3 Digital Fluency

Todays focus around media and its impact on learning/teaching was a really interesting topic. Learning some finer details around Youtube was an interesting session. Only just realising I had a Yourube channel with videos already uploaded on the channel was definitely a surprise this morning....

Some of the cool features I learnt to use more effectively were      

  • How to use the playlist feature on Youtube to collate all the relevant videos I might need 
  • Creating different channels wher eI can post different videos (for the subjects I teach)
  • Turning off the comment feature on Youtube (only use videos for viewing purposes, not its commenting features)
I have already set up a simple playlist for the rules of games we regularily play (makes it easy for me to find, and I can share this playlist with students to refresh their memories on the rules, concepts etc.)

I am planning on setting up a fitness channel for my class. This is where I am aiming to regulairly post content around key exercises points, different kinds of workouts, nutrition, etc....   


For our creating component today, I created a Digital pepeha using Google slides. While doing this I learnt a couple of cool points to do with slides and how to navigate slides a little easier. 

  • I learnt some shortcut keys (Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down arrows=Moving your layers forwards and backwards, Crtl+D=Duplicate what you are higlighting)  
  • How to grab the embedding code off Google Slides (hopefully it is similar for other videos, Google apps as well)
  • Using the explore feature to quickly have access to the internet without having to switch tabs (very handy when working on something and time could be a contraint)
I also had a look at the formatting features on Google slides, and can see how these can be used to make our slides look appealing. This is something I am going to show my students so they can work on their presentations.
  

This is the slide presentation I created for our create component today!!                                                             

3 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed watching your digital pepeha Rikki. It flowed really nicely and the images are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Rikki,
    Great to see the list of useful tips you learnt over the day. You are quite right, finding the embed code is the same for other google apps, like slides.
    I loved seeing your pepeha. A picture tells a thousand words! Do you stay in Whangara?
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Rikki,
    Thanks for sharing your pepeha. That's a great photo of the Waipaoa Awa.
    And yes - the Explore Tool is an efficient way to insert images and importantly these are images that are labelled for reuse.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Day 8 Digital fluency

 Today we took a look into computational thinkning and how it could be relevant to our learning environment. There were a lot of really cool...