Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Day 4 Digital fluency


Today's focus around the use of Google sheets was really good learning. I use sheets quite a bit in school and definitely knew I wasn't using Google sheets to its full potential. This is going improve my workflow a lot, not having to navigate around sheets just to find a few pieces of information (instead I'm going to use the filter option which will be A LOT quicker) is going to save a lot of time!!!! I'm also going to try and teach some of the tips I've learnt today to my students. We are just beginning an exercise log so learning how to do averages, sums, creating charts will be cool (so the students can actually view their progress and see the progression. Also will be cool if they notice any patterns that occur in their charts, but thats a lesson for the future now that I'm thinking about it!)

Some of the useful tips I learnt for navigating Google sheets are;

  • Highlighting the columns (Shift+click), then adjusting the column size will automatically adjust all the columns highlighted to all be the same size (no need to adjust all of them manually anymore).

  • There is an icon in the navigation bar that allows you to move the decimal placing for numbers in the cell.

  • Conditional formatting is a great tool to use to sift through a lot of data very quickly (can also be used to highlight a lot of things quickly).

  • The filter feature is similar to conditional formatting, but also can be used to put a focus on the students' data/learning you want to focus on without having all the additional data on screen.

  • The number icon at the top is a great tool to format your writing and everything else to the way you  want it (not the computer automatically changing numbers for you)

  • Publishing and using the embed code on your charts will allow your chart to update live (instead of using an image and having to replace that image to update the chart)



Below is what we created today. I've created a chart analysing a student's Blog. The chart shows how many times this student has posted on to their blog each month. It is based on seven years of Blog post (with each year being represented by a certain colout). Because I have embedded the chart I will be able to make an update live while using Google sheets. My challenge to you is to see what changes I make to my chart before DFI day 5!!! 

4 comments:

  1. Wow you young guns are just blowing me away with your knowledge and speed in this course! I love hearing about what you're doing with your kids - they are lucky to have you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure your kids will love creating an exercise log, what a cool idea. My class are always so excited to hear what 'new things' I learn on DFI and are eager to try out new skills. I look forward to hearing how your learns enjoy making their exercise log.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Rikki,
    So great to hear how you are planning on taking this learning back and implementing it with your learners. Such a great way to track their exercise! I also love that you've added a question/challenge for your readers, although I've only just read your post so feel maybe you've already made your changes to your graph?
    See you tomorrow.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora Rikki, I agree with Vicki, teaching your learners about sheets is a great idea. A good way for you to embed the learning.
    Hmmm.. no idea re the challenge, however a pretty impressive amount of blogging. Have you got a link to the learner's blog?
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete

Day 8 Digital fluency

 Today we took a look into computational thinkning and how it could be relevant to our learning environment. There were a lot of really cool...